VENUS BAY : Saturday, 5th June.
There were a few early showers this morning - we didn't leave Elliston until 11am by which time the rain had gone and had been replaced by blue sky and sunshine.
Murals on the walls of the Elliston Info Centre
The drive to Venus Bay
was not long, only about 60kms and we arrived near lunch time so settled in to the caravan park and had lunch before backtracking about 20kms along Flinders Highway to Tahlia Beach & Caves. The road in off the highway was a bit rugged in places but well worth the effort as we were rewarded with stunning views
of the beach
and "The Tub" whose thin layer of young limestone composing the roof has been eroded to such an extent that it has collapsed. The original entrance is still covered and the collapsed ceiling has formed a rough bowl, 60 to 70 feet deep.
We both managed the 80 steps down to see the "Woolshed Cave"
and survived the same 80 back up again!
On our return to Venus Bay
while on the receiving end of the evil eye
and back at camp,
the scavengers were lying in wait for returning fishermen
and busy preparing dinner, I just managed to catch the dregs of today's sunset.
SMOKY BAY : Sunday, 6th June.
After breakfast this morning and before leaving Venus Bay,
we embarked on the South Head Walking Trail. It was sunny with a chill wind blowing but we didn't mind the cold too much, the views were worth a little discomfort.
About 20kms north from Venus Bay, and a little more that 2kms of bitumen road off the highway, we came to Murphy's Haystacks.
We stopped in Streaky Bay, had lunch, visited the supermarket and service station and arrived in Smoky Bay in the mid afternoon.
After a couple of hours chilling out, we strolled the few metres from the caravan park to the foreshore
to watch the sunset, then strolled a few extra metres in the opposite direction, to he Community Club for a meal and drinks.
CEDUNA : Monday, 7th June.
It was a half hour drive from Smoky Bay to Ceduna
with sunshine and blue sky on arrival but it is now grey sky, rain and strong winds, confining us to the caravan. An enforced laze which we were expecting so prepared for it.
CEDUNA : Tuesday, 8th June.
We won't be going very far today. After a bumpy night with strong winds rocking the caravan, the wind has not abated at all and a short while ago was gusting up to 55kms an hour, not ideal weather for travelling so we are pleased that we don't have to. Tomorrow morning we plan to leave Ceduna to travel to a bush camp just east of the SA/WA border, to spend our last night in SA (having served our time here, rather pleasantly I must say) before an anticipated early morning border crossing on Thursday, 10th.